©2005 Elizabeth Robertson
MONROE COUNTY HISTORY/MAPS
The Creek Indians had been living on the land that now comprises Monroe County, Georgia, from long before the colonial expansion in 1540 until 1821 and the Treaty of Indian Springs. On January 8, 1821, the Treaty of Indian Springs was signed by the head chiefs, including General McIntosh, of the Creek Nation, ceding the land between the Ocmulgee and the Flint Rivers to the U.S. Government.
Five counties were created from the ceded lands, Dooly, Fayette, Henry, Houston, and Monroe. The original Monroe County included all of what would become Pike County and Upson County and parts of Bibb, Butts, and Spalding Counties. Monroe County was named for James Monroe, author of the Monroe Doctrine and fifth president of the United States. The county seat of Monroe County is Forsyth. Other communities in this county are: Bolingbroke, Culloden, Dames Ferry, High Falls, Indian Springs, and Smarr.
HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS OF
The Carl Vinson Institute of Government- University of Georgia
provides a wealth of information about every County in Georgia. The
below links are to a few of the Monroe County sites.
MONROE COUNTY COURTHOUSE
MONROE COUNTY HISTORICAL MARKERS
MONROE COUNTY HISTORICAL MAPS
MONROE COUNTY HISTORY- MONROE ADVERTISER 1935
M'INTOSH TABLET UNVAILED SATURDAY
MAP OF MONROE COUNTY - 1821 ORIGINAL BOUNDRIES
MONROE CO., MILITIA DISTRICT MAP
MAPS and COUNTY CENSUS MAPS 1758 - 1930
(Off site link- use browser back button to return here)
MONROE COUNTY PLACES
LANDMARKS AND INTERESTING
(Some Information provided by Tony Pryse. Copyright 2001 Tony Pryse.)
Monroe County was formed from Indian lands in 1821 and divided a year later, with the western half becoming Pike County. (The northern part of Pike later went to Spaulding.). A northern section of Monroe was given to Butts County in 1825 and the southeastern corner went to Bibb about the same time. Lamar County was formed in 1920 from the eastern section of Pike and western section of Monroe. Monroe County has had many villages and towns in its 180-year history. Some of the old settlements still exist in some sense – life-long residents know where Blount, Collier, Box Ankle and others are located, even though few of these exist as true communities any more. Many of them are still on contemporary maps, but others can be found only on maps that are faded and yellowed.
Here is a list of most of the Monroe County communities with their approximate locations that have existed through the years. Earlier and alternate names are given in parentheses. Those in italics are listed in Monroe County, Georgia A History (MCGH) as “ghost communities,” although a few of them are still found on current maps. MCGH has a chapter that records histories and reminiscences of many of these communities. The coordinates given are from the US Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System database.
The University of Georgia has a Georgia Historical Atlas web site which contains historical maps of Georgia counties. For Monroe County, there are maps from 1821, 1822, 1823, 1830, 1834, 1839, 1863, 1874, 1883, 1885, 1895, 1904, 1910, 1915, 1952, and 1955. Some of the earlier maps have no towns other than Forsyth and are somewhat distorted in shape. Probably the most useful are 1821, which shows the original and current boundaries, 1839, 1863, 1883, 1895, 1910, and 1915. The 1839 and 1915 maps in particular show some communities that are not found on other maps, and that are not listed in MCGH, in the USGS GNIS, or in the list of Georgia cities on the
Georgia GenWeb site. For those, the maps on which the town is shown is given below.
Top of Page
Bacon, NE section (1915).
Berner, NE section of county on Highway 83; 33°9'17"N 83°49'43"W.
Blount, 10 miles N of Forsyth on Highway 42; 33°10'49"N 83°57'34"W.
Blue Ridge (John or Johns), 4 miles SE of Cabaniss. (John is on 1915 map).
Bolingbroke (Stalling's Store 1824-1844, Prattsville 1844-1850, Colaparchee 1850-1866), 12 miles S of Forsyth on US 41; 32°56'57"N 83°48'12"W. (MCGH also says Prattsville was 2 miles N of Bolingbroke, so it might have been considered a separate community at some point.)
Box Ankle (Boxankle), 6 miles N of Forsyth; 33°7'0"N 83°58'24"W.
Brent, 5 miles SW of Forsyth on Highway 83; 32°58'54"N 84°0'37"W.
Brownsville, 2 miles S of Juliette, near the Ocmulgee River (1839).
Cabaniss (Gullettsville, New Market) NE section of the county, 3-4 miles W of Highway 83. 33°9'12"N 83°52'46"W. (1883, 1885 and 1915 maps show both New Market and Cabaniss, about 4-5 miles apart, so they might have been distinct communities.)
Chappel, now in Lamar County; 33°10'40"N 84°5'51"W (1915).
Colaparchee, see Bolingbroke.
Collier, 5 miles W of Forsyth on Highway 41; 33°2'49"N 84°1'1"W.
Culloden, SW section of the county on US 341; 32°51'47"N 84°5'38"W.
Dames Ferry, 12 miles E of Forsyth off Highways 87 and 18, near the Ocmulgee River. (First post office there named Ebenezer in 1887).
Dyas, 13 miles south of Forsyth on Highway 42; 32°51'58"N 83°59'40"W.
Ebenezer, see Dames Ferry.
Eleanor, just north of Forsyth. It was the company-owned village where workers for the Ensign Cotton Mill could live.
Flora, near Bolingbroke and Old Salem Methodist Church, which is on Pea Ridge Road about 3 miles east of Highway 42 (1910, 1915).
Forsyth, center and county seat; 33°2'3"N 83°56'18"W.
Goggins (Goggans, Goggans Station, Goggansville), three miles east of Barnesville, now in Lamar County, 33°4'33"N 84°5'31"W.
Gullettsville, see Cabaniss.
Higgins Mill (Higgins), about 7-8 miles NW of Forsyth; 33°7'42"N 84°0'16"W (1915).
High Falls, NW section of the county; 33°10'32"N 84°1'32"W.
Holly Grove, about 10 miles E of Forsyth, (1839).
Horne (Horn's Crossroads), between Highway 83 and US 341, now in Lamar (1915).
Iceburg (Iceberg), near Juliette.
John or Johns, see Blue Ridge.
Johnstonville, 4 miles NE of Barnesville, now in Lamar County; 33°5'22"N 84°4'28"W.
Juliette, on the Ocmulgee River, eastern boundary of Monroe County; 33°6'26"N 83°48'1"W.
Lamont, west section, now in Lamar (1915).
Logwall, 5 miles N of Forsyth on Highway 42.
Manila, south central (1915).
Maynard, about 3-4 miles E of Forsyth on the Juliette Road.
Maynard's Mill, 5 miles S of Forsyth on Highway 42.
Milford, north central section, (1839).
Montpelier (Montpelier Station), 15 miles W of Macon on Highway 74.
New Market, see Cabaniss.
Paran, north central, (1895).
Patillo, NW corner, now in Lamar County; 33°12'6"N 84°5'33"W (1910, 1915).
Popes Ferry, 15 miles N of Macon on Highway 87.
Prattsville, see Bolingbroke.
Proctor's Station, north central. (1885).
Redbone, 1 mile west of Highway 341, now in Lamar County; 32°59'24"N 84°5'51"W.
Russellville, 15 miles S of Forsyth on Highway 42; 32°54'9"N 83°59'29"W.
Rhosetta, between Forsyth and Barnesville.
Socrates, NW section of the county, just E of I-75, N of Johnstonville Road and S of High Falls Park Road, now in Lamar County. (1915)
Smarr, (Smarrs Station until 1895, then Smarrs until 1950) 5 miles SE of Forsyth on Highway 41; 32°59'7"N 83°52'56"W.
Spring Hill, south central (1839).
Stalling's Store, see Bolingbroke.
Strouds, SW section of the county on Highway 83; 32°55'13"N 84°3'58"W.
Unionville, 1 mile E of I-75 on High Falls Park Road, now in Lamar County; 33°9'39"N 84°3'0"W.
Venture, several miles E of Forsyth. (1910, 1915)
Zellner, about 5 miles W of Forsyth. (1910, 1915)
Back to top
M'INTOSH TABLET UNVEILED SATURDAY (Monroe
Advertiser, June 30, 1911)
Interesting Exercises will be Held at Indian Springs --Bronze
Tablet Entered upon Historic Rock.
On next Saturday afternoon an event of much importance will
take place at Indian Springs.
On that day at 2:30 o'clock the
Piedmont Continental Chapter, D. A. R. of Atlanta will unveil the bronze tablet
which they hve placed upon the historic "McIntosh Rock." This tablet
commemorates one of the most important treaties signed on Georgia soil. It
was the cause of two thrilling events which followed the signing.
By this treaty Georgia acquired all the Creek Indian lands
west of the Flint River. General William McIntosh, head of one of the
factions of the Creek Indians, signed the treaty for the Indians.
Hopcetablebolo, the silvertongued orator of the Creeks headed this opposing
faction, and jumping upon the same rock made his famous speech of vengeance, in
which he declared that McIntosh should die for the act of ceding away Indian
lands. On the night of April 30th McIntosh was savagely murdered by a party
of Indians at his home on the Chattahoochee river, in what is now Carroll county.
The other event of interest resulting from the signing of the
treaty is that it was the cause of much heated discussion between the United
States authorities at Washington and Governor Troup of Georgia, which came very
near resulting in Georgia's seceding from the union in 1825.
The Piedmont Continental Chapter has sent out unique
invitations to this event. They are postcards bearing a correct likeness of
General McIntosh and a picture of the rock. Special invitations are sent to
only a few, but all Daughters of the American Revolution and the people of
Georgia are invited to be present.
The exercise will be short and exceedingly interesting.
Judge James H. Lumpkin will deliver the address of the occasion. He will be
preceded by the regent of the Piedmont Continental Chapter, Mrs. William H.
Heandle, of Atlanta, and will be followed by a talk from the state regent, Mrs.
John M. Graham of Marietta.
Not since the unveiling of the Oglethorpe monument in Savannah
in November of last year, has an event of so much historic interest occurred in
Georgia. This work the Piedmont Continental Chapter inaugurated, and has
carried to success alone. This was undertaken because this chapter believe
the D. A. R. is first of all a Historic society and that all historic spots in
Georgia should be suitably and permanently marked.
Top of Page
MONROE COUNTY HISTORY-MONROE ADVERTISER - JULY 1935
Written by: An Old Timer
JULY 11, 1935
(File submitted by Jane Newton, Transcribed by Eliz. Robertson)
MONROE COUNTY HISTORY
On Route 42 to Atlanta, the first house was built by Cat. Jeff Dumas where he
lived for many years. He was a partner in the firm of Dumas & Allen. This is now
operated by C. A. Ensign. The next was the D. J. Proctor place, now owned by Mr.
Maddox. This was built by Major J. R. Banks, and uncle of Mr. R. B. Stephens.
Major Banks ran a large farm and had for his manager, Mr. J. F. Hanson, who later
was president of Central of Georgia Railway. Also he later became president of
the Bibb Manufacturing Company. This shows how merit will tell. About the time
there was a cargo of Peruvian guano shipped to Savannah, Major Banks being a
progressive farmer, bought a ton as an experiment. He prevailed on his neighbor,
Mr. Ben Watkins, the father of Taylor Watkins. He was the grandfather of Chief
Ben T. Watkins of Macon. Mr. Watkins used this guano on his farm and was much
astonished at the results, as this was the first commercial fertilizer used in
Monroe County. It brought visitors from the counties near by. This farm is still
in the Watkins family.
The adjoining farm is the old Callaway place where all the Callaway boys were
raised. They often invited friends to enjoy their hospitality. The place is now
in charge of Mr. George McMullan. At the right, in the oak grove, is the old Bob
McCough home, now owned by Mr. V. B. Hooks. This place was one of the first
places settled in the county. Mr. George Waldrep, one of the old Confederate
veterans, still looks closely after his farm. When he takes a notion to come to
town, he saddles his horse. The next farm is the old Dock Wilder place, now owned
by Mr. Clarence Waldrep, who is a progressive and successful farmer and has shown
what good farming will do.
The old Logwall church was built long before the Civil War. It was a popular
place where the farmers held their big meetings. The church was built by the
Barkleys, Akins, Tommie Stewart and Dr. Mann and others.
Across the Towaliga is the old Richard McMullen place. Mr. Dick McMullen
represented the county in the legislature. His brother, Chap McMullan, lived
across Eight Mile Creek and was a good farmer. Joe McMullen married Ellen Sutton.
Mr. C. M. Sutton and his brother, Aaron Sutton, came from Buncomb county, North
Carolina, with their father, Phineas Sutton and mother. This couple settled near
Rocky Creek on the farm where Mr. J. T. English lives. The are buried in the
Rocky Creek cemetery.
Mr. C. M. Sutton built the first log house that was built on the Sutton farm. He
had his own blacksmith shop and sharpened his plows and repaired his wagons. He
was the father of several sons and daughters. Martha married Major D. G. Proctor,
who had the first store that was ever in Blount, or as the district was called
then, Proctors or the fourth. His daughter, Sarah, married Thomas Tucker, the
father of Charlie and Sing Tucker. Mary married Frank Gilmore, Nancy married
Tomlinson, Ellen married Joe McMullan and Amanda married Alexander Spicer. He was
the father of Ben, who married Miss Hamilton; Jack, who married Miss Tomlinson;
Harrison, who married Edna Proctor, and Moses, who died in the Civil War. He was
a Primitive Baptist and a member of the Smyrna church where he always went on
meeting days. He never bought any corn or meat. Wesley Tucker owns that farm.
Edward Butler owned a large farm near there. He was also a large owner of land on
the Towaliga River.
Mr. Frank Anderson ran a tanyard and made many old-fashioned brogan shoes. He was
also a farmer and made good crops. Mr. Chestney Smith, father of Mr. R. C. Smith,
came from Virginia. He was the father of Andrew, Wiley, Rich, George and Bob. He
owned a large amount of land near Blount. He ran a blacksmith shop and made many
plows for the farmers. Major D. G. Proctor owned the two-story house where he
lived and raised his family. Mr. Aaron Sutton was the father of Mr. Jim Sutton,
and grandfather of Mr. J. P. Sutton.
Mr. George Edwards lived at Blount. Mr. John Watson married his daughter. Charlie
Edwards moved to Texas. Mr. Green Westbrook lived west of there and was the
father of Mr. W. H. Westbrook. He married Miss Huddleston.
The Freeman Brothers own a store and do a large business with the farmers. We
have heard it said that the merchants of Forsyth never lost any money in the
fourth district. We have written this to show that the section was made up of
small farmers, who raised about all they used on their farms. Messrs. George and
Bob Smith are good farmers and live at home. The Webb family lives in that
neighborhood and has a large farming interest. We will try to give you a little
more of the history of the section. It was always the home of small farmers who
did their own work and lived at home.
(SIGNED) AN OLD TIMER.
Top of Page
Source: Georgia's Landmarks, Memorials and Legends
by Lucian Lamar Knight, Published 1913, Page 790 - 797, Volume I
Created by Legislative Act, May 15, 1821, out of lands acquired from the
Creeks under the first treaty of Indian Springs, in the same year. Named for
James Monroe, author of the famous Monroe doctrine and fifth President of
the United States. Forsyth, the county-seat, named for the illustrious orator and
statesman of Georgia, Hon. John Forsyth, who, while occupying the office of
United States Minister to Spain, negotiated the purchase of Florida, in 1819, from
King Ferdinand VII. When organized in 1821 Monroe embraced Pike and Upson
and in part Bibb, Butts, and Spaulding.
Anderson Redding, a veteran of the Revolution, died in Monroe, on February 9,
1843, at the age of 80. The following account of him is preserved in Historical
Collections of Georgia: "No sooner had he arrived at manhood than he was enrolled
among those who determined to be free. He served under his country's banner
with a patriot's zeal and devotion. He was present at the consummation of
American Liberty; the surrender of Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown. The recollections
of the glorious day lingered long in his memory, a rehearsal of which often caused
him to feel as though the ardor and buoyancy of early days were yet fresh upon
him, while a big round tear would fall and moisten the old man's cheek."
Rev. Isaac Smith, who died in this county, in 1834, aged 76 years, was another
Historical Collections of Georgia, Monroe County
Revolutionary soldier, who fought under Washington. Says White:*"He was pre-
sent at most of the principal actions which were fought by this distinguished
leader, and although his term of service expired before the close of the war,
yet he was present as a volunteer at the capturing of Cornwallis at Yorktown;
after which he retired from military life and was soon after, under the preaching
of the Methodists, awakened and converted, and called of God to preach
deliverance to the captives and the opening of the prison doors to those who were
bound by the fetters of sin." *
Wm. Jones, a patriot of the Revolution, was granted a Federal pension in
1814, while a resident of Monroe.
Eight miles from Forsyth, near the public highway to Griffin, lies buried an old
soldier of the first war for independence - WILLIAM OGLETREE. His grave
in the family burial ground is at present unmarked, but the spot has been identified
beyond any question and will be marked by the Piedmont Continental Chapter
of the D. A. R. Between Yatesvill and Cullodon, in a grave at present unmarked
sleeps William Haygood also a patriot of '76. His grave will likewise be marked
by this same Chapter. *
Mrs. Richard P. Brooks, of Forsyth, Ga., Regent Piedmont Continental
CHAPTER D. A. R.
Top of Page
BESSIE TIFT COLLEGE , located at Forsyth, is one of the oldest institutions
in the State for the higher education of women. It is the outgrowth of a school
taught by the Rev. E. J. C. Thomas, in a building known as the Monroe Railway
Bank and owned by the Masons. In 1850, the citizens of Forsyth acquired
the property, enlarged the building, and established here the Forsyth Collegiate
Institute, under the government of an interdenominational board of trustees.
It was duly incorporated, and Dr. W. C. Wilkes, a distinguished educator,
became the president. Two years later, the old Monroe Bank building was
abandoned. The growth of the institution demanded ampler quarters, and for
this purpose the old Botanic College building was acquired, in an unfinished
condition and put in readiness for occupancy by this school. It was not long
thereafter before the Baptist of Forsyth by an agreement in equity obtained
exclusive ownership and control of the plant; and from the date of this transfer
it became the Monroe Female College. Dr. Wilkes remained at the helm for
seventeen years, after which Dr. Shaler G. Hillyer, a noted Baptist devine,
became president. In 1879 the plant was almost completely destroyed by fire,
a disaster little short of fatal to the institution.
But friends came to the rescue. It rose once more from the ashes, and in
1898, the college became the property of the Georgia Baptist Convention and
the support of the denomination throughout the State was henceforth insured.
The presidents of the institution, succeeding Dr. Wilkes, have been as follows:
Dr. Shaler G. Hillyer 1867 - 1873
Prof. R. T. Asbury 1873-1884
Rev. Moses M.McCall 1884-1885
Prof. R. T. Asbury 1885 - 1890
Rev. J. E. Powell 1890 - 1895
Rev. Marshall H. Lane 1895 - 1897
Mrs. C. D. Crawley 1897 - 1898
Rev. S. C. Hood 1898 - 1899
Dr. A. A. Marshall 1899 - 1900
Prof. C. H. S. Jackson, LL.D., since 1900 to present time
Under the wise direction of Dr. Jackson, a new era of growth began. The
present executive head of the institution proved to be a masterful administrator.
There has been no backward step since he formally took charge, and today the
institution is one of the foremost in the land; enjoying the liberal patronage of
many States. In 1907, the name of the school was changed to the Bessie Tift
College, in compliment to one of the most generous friends of the institution,
Mr. H. H. Tift, of Tifton, Ga. His wife, nee Miss Bessie Willingham, was a
graduate of this school, in the class of 1878, and one of the most unwearied
workers in the cause of her alma mater. To Mr. W. D. Upshaw, an eloquent
layman, much credit is also due for raising funds throughout the State, and one
of the handsomest buildings on the campus bears the name of Mr. Upshaw's
mother. By reason of an accident in early youth, Mr. Upshaw has not walked
for thirty years without his crutches, but in spite of this handicap he has been
one of the most magnetic advocates of temperance reform and one of the
most zealous champions of education. He was a recognized leader in the fight
for State-wide prohibition.
Top of Page
According to Dr. George G. Smith, the first brick church ever erected by
Methodist in Georgia was built in the town of Forsyth. It is also a fact for which
this same authority vouches that the Congregational Methodist church, a body
which is Congregational in form of government and Methodist in doctrine, was
first organized in the county of Monroe. The Presbyterians were never strong
in this locality, but the Episcopalians hoped at one time to establish here an
educational center. At Montpelier, fourteen miles from Forsyth, was formerly
located the Georgia Episcopal Institute, founded by Gazaway B. Lamar, at one
time a resident of Savannah, afterwards of New York.
Top of Page
Historic Culloden. Volume II
The Falls of the Towaliga. Volume II
ORIGINAL SETTLERS. The first comers into Monroe, according to White,
were: O. Woodward, B. Rogers, P. Lacy, Rev. O. Rogers, Job Taylor, T. Harpue,
A. Ponder, Mr. Lester, Williamson Mims, John Brown, E. Brown, A. Chapman
A. Lockett, A. Redding, Thomas Holland, Simon Brooks, Thomas Dewberry,
Josiah Horton, A. Davis, Joseph Dunn, Moses Dumas, Benjamin Dumas, D. Ponder,
Thomas Battle, E. Jackson, A. Chappell, W. P. Henry, Wilkes Hunt, Andrew
West, Rev. G. Christian, Dr. Brown, Dr. E. W. Jones, David McDade, Dr. Law
and George W. Gordon.
Top of Page
On June 3, 1822, at the home of H. H. Lumpkin, Esq., nine miles northwest
of Forsyth, was held the first session of the Superior Court in Monroe, Judge
Christopher B. Strong presiding. A. G. Saffold was Solicitor-General. The
following citizens qualified as Grand Jurors: George Cabaniss, Isaac Welch,
Abner Lockett, James D. Lester, Hugh W. Ector, Lemuel Gresham, Henry
Wimberly, John C. Willis, Thomas Wynn, Wood Moreland, David Dumans,
Roland Parham, William Saunders, John Hamil, James Slattings, Joseph
Youngblood, William D. Wright, William Bell and Jesse Evans.
Top of Page
There were numerous instances of longevity among the early settlers.
Mrs. Haygood died at the age of 93. Says an old newspaper: "She was born
on Christmas, married on Christmas and baptized on Christmas." John Watson
was 86 at the time of his death. Mr. Harper was 90, and Mrs. Brooks was
between 80 and 90. W. A. Wheeler and Benjamin Haygood were each 83.
Mrs. Sarah Woodward reached the age of 84. Aaron Jordan was 82 when he
died, and the following old residents reached the age of 80: John Chappell,
Philemon Lacy, Rev,. Richard Holmes, Mrs. Richard Holmes, Mrs. Joiner,
Simon Brooks, and Major Sullivan. Jesse Powell died at 81.
Top of Page
To the foregoing list of early settlers may be added a number of others who
came within the next decade: Robert McGough, a soldier of the War of 1812,
came to Monroe from Jones, with the first band of immigrants and blazed a
trail thrugh the forest to a place on Tobesofkee Creek, where he built his home.
He was a large land-owner and a man of affairs. Mr. McGough died at the age
In 1821, Elbridge G. Cabaniss, then a yough of nineteen, settled in the town
of Forsyth, where he became principal of the local academy; and, after teaching
for a few years, he studied law, rose to a seat on the Superior Court Bench,
and became one of the foremost jurist of his day in Georgia. The family origin-
ated in one of the cantons of French Switzerland, where it bore a conspicuous
part in the great Protestant reformation. Several of the sons of Judge Cabaniss
became distinguished men, including Thomas B. Cabaniss, a member of Congress,
and H. H. Cabaniss, a journalist of note and a man of affairs. His daughter,
Eliza, married Judge Cincinnatus Peeples.
Caleb Norwood, a native of England, settled in 1830 at Colloden. He
married Jane Manson, a Tennessee lady, of Scotch-Irish parentage, who became
the mother of the future United State Senator, Thomas Manson Norwood.
Andrew West, the grandfather of General A. J. West, was also an early
settler of Monroe. The list also includes: Dr. B. F. Chambliss, a pioneer
settler at Culloiden; Andrew Zellner, for whom the town of Zellner was named,
and the father of Judge B. H. Zellner; Anderson Redding, a soldier of the
Revolution; Thomas Redding, his son; Isaac Smith, a minister of the gospel
and a soldier in the first war for independence; Dr. James Thweat, a surgeon
in the War of 1812; Alexander Parker, a soldier in the Indian Wars; Davis
Smith, John Moore, Ivy Brooks; Dr. Daniel B. Searcy, a noted physician and
a man of large means; Samuel Barron, Thomas Hollis, John C. Anderson
Hardy Lassiter, William Rowe, William Glenn, Henry W. Walton, the Sharps,
the Willinghams, the Worshams, and other well-known families.
MONROE'S DISTINGUISHED RESIDENTS. Some of the most des-
tinguished residents of Monroe lived in the town of Culloden, viz., Judge
Thomas M. Norwood, a former United States Senator from Georgia, a
noted author, and a well-known jurist; Judge Alexander M. Speer, a former
occupant of the Supreme Bench of Georgia; Dr. Eustace W. Speer, a noted
Methodist devine, at one time professor of Belle Lettres in the University
of Georgia; Colonel N. J. Hammond, a former member of Congress and a great
lawyer; Governor James Milton Smith, a former Chief-Magistrate of Georgia;
and the two widely-beloved Methodist ministers, Dr. W. F. Cook and Dr..
J. O. A. Cook.
Besides these may be mentioned a number of others identified with the town
of Forsyth. The list includes: Judge Robert P. Trippe, a former member of
Congress, afterwards a judge of the Supreme Court of Georgia; Judge
Cincinnatus Peeples, one of the ablest jurist of the State, for years Judge of
the Atlanta Circuit: Judge E. G. Cabaniss, also a noted jurist; his son, Thomas
B. Cabaniss, a former member of Congress, afterwards a jurist of high rank.
Colonel Robert L. Berner, a distinguished lawyer, who was commissioned to
command a regiment of volunteers in the Spanish-American War; General
L. L. Griffin, the first president of the old Monroe Road, for whom the town
of Griffin was named; William H. Head, a distinguished financier and legis-
lator, also a vetran of two wars , the Mexican and the Civil; O. H. B. Blood-
worth, a brilliant lawyer, at one time a strong minority candidate for Congres
Bartow S. Willingham, author of the famous Willingham prohibition bill,
introduced in the Legislature sometime in the nineties, and a host of other no
less worthy mention. General Philip began practice of law in Forsyth, but
later removed to Americus.
Top of Page
LANDMARKS AND INTERESTING PLACES
THURMOND MILL 1903 AD
FILE CONTRIBUTED BY Sandy Ross SANDIBUTC@aol.com July 10, 2003, 3:32 pm
Source: Sandra Ross
William Harrison Thurmond built and operated Thurmond Mill.
Thurmond Mill was just off Culloden Road on Tobesofkee Creek.
It was a grain mill to grind different kinds of flour, such as whole wheat
flour. It ground two grades of wheat flour and bran.
William David Thurmond, son of original builder, invented a washing
machine and an improved water wheel. He operated the mill after his
father's death on Aug. 28, 1905. Another son, Jim Thurmond, also ran
the mill despite being almost completely blind.
The improved water wheel changed the way water flowed over it so more
Additional notes from Jane Benson:
Monroe Advertiser July 24, 1930
THURMOND GRAIN AND FEED MILL IN OPERATION
The Thurmond grain mill, long known and patronized by the people of this
section, has recently been improved
and is now in operation. The products of the mill consist of flour, meal
and graham flour and each is of
the best grade that can be obtained, as those who have enjoyed the use of these
products can testify.
Dr. Thos. D. Thurmond has enlarged has enlarged the plant this year by the
addition of a feed mill which
brings to the farmers of this section the advantage of a modern plant where
their feedstuff may be converted
into the forms best suited for the effective and economical feeding of cattle
and stock. It thus
becomes unnecessary for the people who raise feed to go to the extra expense of
purchasing that which has been
manufactured away from home.
Top of Page