David C. Adams, merchant and banker at Fort Gaines, Ga, was born in Pulaski County, same state, February 5, 1834. His father, Thomas Adams, was born in North Carolina, was a mechanic, moved to Georgia and died in Hawkinsville in 1836. His wife, Charity (Goff) Adams, bore him three children, of whom David C. is the eldest. The latter was reared in Houston County, Ga, on a farm, and educated in the common schools. In 1852 he went to Randolph County, Ga, and commenced clerking in Cuthbert, and in 1856 he removed to Fort Gaines in Clay County, and engaged in farming. In 1864 he joined the Confederate service as lieutenant in Company E, in Smith's Brigade, and served until the close of the war. He then commenced the livery business in Fort Gaines, but in 1869 he sold out and commenced a mercantile business on a small scale, which has steadily grown, and he now has the largest business house in Fort Gaines. He is considered to be the wealthiest man in Clay County, and his wealth has been gained within the last 25 years. March 5, 1855, he married Miss Emily Cone, daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Peterson) Cone, of Cuthbert, Ga. To this union have been born four children, viz: Sarah A., Edward, Ross L., and Frank B. Mrs. Emily Adams died January 1, 1883, and September 17, 1884, Mr. Adams married Miss Lucy Wood, daughter of William Wood, of Henry County, Ala. To this union have been born two children, viz: Lucile and David C. Jr. Mr. Adams is a bright Mason, a member of the Baptist Church, and in politics is a Democrat.