|Quitman County Archives|
|About GAGenWeb Web Project|
Quitman County GAGenWeb
is up for Adoption
Quitman County was created from Randolph and Stewart counties on Dec. 10, 1858. It was Georgia's 128th county and was named for Gen. John A. Quitman, (1799-1858). Quitman, a former governor of Mississippi and veteran of the Mexican War, possessed a stanch belief in states rights. This position made him popular in Georgia. The Georgia Assembly, five months after his death, honored him with the naming of Quitman County.
Georgetown was named the county seat of Quitman County in 1859. Georgetown, whose original name was Tabanana, was changed to Georgetown after a town by the same name in the District of Columbia. Georgetown was incorporated on December 9, 1859.
|USGenWeb Project was born.|
|Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from The GAGenWeb Project Team [http://www.thegaproject.org/adoptCounty.htm] and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.|