ROSTER OF OLD COUNTY MILITARY UNIT UNCOVERED:
The Cabaniss chapter of the U D C has found a newspaper clipping which carried the roster of what may be the earliest military organization to leave MONROE COUNTY. Many of the names of the men who left the county in 1836 are familiar to the present citizens.
The date line and name of the paper was not available. The following is the text of the clipping:
We recently found among the papers of Judge E. G. Cabaniss, the muster roll of the “Monroe County Musketeers” who left our county in 1836 and served three months in the territory of Florida in the first Georgia Battalion under command of Maj. Mark A. Cooper. Gen. Phil Cook, now a member of Congress from Georgia was a private in the company. This is probably the first volunteer company to go from this county to engage in war.
Captain - John Curston Privates, cont’d 1st Lieut. – Anderson Baldwin John Brown 2nd Lieut. – Wm. A. Black Sim Brooks 3rd Lieut. – Arch Martin Jack Champion Ensign – James S. Pinckard Phillip Cook 1st Sgt. – Eldridge G. Cabaniss John Christian 2nd Sgt. – Allen G. Fambrough John J. Cooper 3rd Sgt. – J. L. Alexander Willis Dillard 4th Sgt. – Wm W. Chapman J. W. Enfinger 1st Cpl. – James Brown Nelson Gordon 2nd Cpl. – Echillis K. Sparks Isaac L. Hill ***** 3rd Cpl. – Robert Foster Milton Kelton 4th Cpl. – James Dixon D. M. Lesuer M. J. McMullen Privates: Thomas Malone James Brantley Henry Mitchell H. J. Baldwin John McDonald John K. Moore Lucius Miller A. M. Nall Thomas McMullen Alfred Patton Thomas J. Mann James T. Patterson Seth Morgan Hugh P. Switzer Jack Niles Sol Beckcom William Nash Eph Baggerly Ed Oneal Robert G. Brown John F. Pinckard Jehu Cates W. A. Rogers Edward Cook Sam Stewart William Clark W. J. Shockley H. P. Christian Joshua Lee Gardner Davis Thomas B. Teat David M. Evans Silas H. Turner Robertson Freedman William H. Walker Alex Hermann M. A. Samuel Robert A. Johnson William Spicer William S. Kelly John P. Trice J. W. Walker William J. Wilson
The Musketeers were mustered into service by Lieutenant Colonel James Bankhead of the United States Army at Picolata Florida.