site search by freefind advanced

GAGenWeb Project

US GenWeb Project

Terrell County Memoirs

Memoirs of Georgia, Vol. II

Containing historical accounts of the state's civil, military industrial and professional interests and personal sketches of many of its people.

The Southern Historical Association, 1895, Atlanta, GA

ANDREW JACKSON BALDWIN, merchant and manufacturer, Dawson, Terrell Co., Ga., son of Moses H. and Elizabeth (Miller) Baldwin, natives respectively of Georgia and North Carolina, was born near Cuthbert, Randolph Co., Ga., in 1847. His father was born in what is now Bibb county about 1814, and both parents dying he was left an orphan when he was about ten years old. He grew up as best he could, and educated himself. He engaged in business in Macon with an elder brother until the latter part of 1830, when he went to Randolph county, where in 1841, he married and engaged prosperously in farming until 1850. Trading his farm for land in what is now Terrell county, he settled in January, 1850, where Dawson now stands, and continued farming. In 1856 the town was laid off and platted, and in 1858 was incorporated, and Mr. Baldwin's father built the first residence in the then new and now enterprising and prosperous city of Dawson. He now added a merchandise business to his farming, and operated a mill just over the line in Calhoun county. He was very successful in his various enterprises until the war between the states occurred, when, besides valuable real estate holdings, he owned 100 slaves. He was active and energetic in business, and a shrewd trader. In politics he was an old-line whig, and was postmaster at Dawson twenty years. He was a master Mason, and himself and wife were members of the Methodist church. He died in Dawson in 1885, aged seventy-one years, and his widow died Jan. 3, 1894, aged seventy-two years. They were the parents of nine children: Martha E., who married R.T. Spearman, who as captain went with the Panola Rifles, of Dawson, into the Confederate service, and died in Virginia during the war; later she married R.T. Harper, Atlanta, in which city she died; John Wiley, partner of A.J.; A.J., the subject of this sketch, and his twin brother, William R.; Lewis Spaight, deceased; Moses H., deceased; Mary Matilda, deceased; Sarah, widow of J.W. Turner; Mary Spaight, wife of D.S. Ferguson, Dawson. Mr. Baldwin was reared in Dawson and attended the schools there until he was seventeen years old, when he enlisted in the Fifth regiment, Georgia reserves, and joined Gen. Hood's army. He participated in the battle of Jonesboro, and was with the obstructionist forces in from of Gen. Sherman when he was marching through Georgia and the Carolinas. He was wounded at Rivers' bridge by having both bones of his fore-arm broken, was sent to the hospital and was afterward furloughed and came home. His regiment surrendered at Bentonville, N.C. Soon after his return home he engaged in a general merchandising business with his father, and in 1868 went into business for himself. In 1880 he put up a large ginnery and mill, and six years later added a planing mill and machine shop. Besides these individual enterprises he is interested in the oil mill and compress companies at Dawson. In 1891 the Baldwin three-story brick block, modern architecture and appointments, one of the finest in that part of the state, and an ornament to the city, was built. Mr. Baldwin, of untiring industry, never still, personally looks after all his enterprises, even to the minutest details, does all his own buying, and as this recital demonstrates, is a far-seeing and eminently progressive citizen. The esteem in which he is held is shown by the fact that he has repeatedly been elected an alderman, was early in life elected mayor at intervals, and then in 1892 elected again and re-elected in 1893 without opposition. Mr. Baldwin was happily married in Dawson in 1871 to Miss A.E., daughter of John H. Crouch, formerly of Butler, Taylor Co., Ga., where she was born and reared. Nine children have blessed this union. Those living at home are: William R., Andrew W., Florence A., Wiley L., Earnest, Moses C. and Alberta E. Two are dear-Lizzie, first-born, who died when eight months old, and an unnamed infant. Mr. Baldwin is a Knight of Honor, a member of the Royal Arcanum and has taken all the degrees in masonry. Himself and family are members of the Methodist church, of which he is one of the trustees. He is one of the most influential citizens of the community, and his delightful home and interesting family are deservedly popular.

J.C. GUERRY, merchant and planter, Chickasawhatchie, is a son of J.P. and Mary A. (Lowry) Guerry. He was born July 6, 1836, and his early days were spent on the farm and attending school. When the civil war broke out he was among the first to volunteer and joined the Twelfth Georgia Volunteer infantry under Gen. Joe Johnston and remained in that command until he lost part of a hand and was badly wounded in the ankle. He then returned home and after farming awhile engaged in the mercantile business, which he still continues. He owns a farm of 300 acres, which he operates in connection with his business. Mr. Guerry was married to Rebecca A. Tison, a native of Georgia. They have one child, which was born in 1875, Jessie. Mr. and Mrs. Guerry are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has been justice of the peace for ten years, resigning in 1893.

ELI G. HILL, planter, Bronwood, Terrell Co., Ga., son of David B. and Matilda (Spencer) Hill, was born in Baldwin county, Ga., Jan. 2, 1820. His paternal grandfather, Robert Hill, was a son of one of three brothers who cam from Ireland before the revolutionary war, settled in Virginia, and served as a captain in the patriot army. After the war the brothers separated and the Georgia branch of the family lost track of the others. Mr. Hill's grandfather came to Georgia when a young man, on business, and being favorably impressed with the country determined to make it his home. He was a great talker, and the mixture of the Irish brogue with his English only made him the more interesting and popular, and he became much in demand as an auctioneer at public sales. He was thrice married. The offspring of his first marriage were: Thomas, who served as a volunteer soldier in one of the earlier Indian wars; and Olivia, who married, and reared a small family. His second marriage was to a Miss Bailey-a relative of the Baileys at Griffin, Ga. By this marriage he had six children: David B.; Hiram H., who, after marrying, died leaving three children; James A., who served as sheriff of Baldwin county, and died in 1842, leaving six children; Eli S., who after his marriage settled in Walton county, Ga., represented that county in the general assembly, and, in 1848, went to Texas; Charles, who married and moved to Arkansas, and settled near Arkadelphia; Rebecca, who married Robert Brown and settled in Crawford county, Ga., and after living there twenty years moved to Macon county, Ga., where herself and husband died, leaving a small family, some of who are living in California. His third wife was a Miss Phinney, by whom he had no children. In 1823 he was killed by being thrown from a horse when returning from a sale. Mr. Hill's father was born at what was then known as "Shoulder Bone", in what is now Hancock county (laid off in 1793), July 5, 1792, and was raised and educated in Hancock and Baldwin counties. He remained on the old home place-included in Baldwin county when laid out in 1803-as a planter and stock raiser, in which he was very successful. Besides a large body of land he owned 103 slaves at his death, which occurred Dec. 31, 1843, in his fifty-second year. Politically he was an ardent and active old-line whig, but not and office seeker, as he wound never accept office. His wife was born in Louisville (then the capital of Georgia) in 1795. Her family, the Spencers, were old settlers and prominent; an uncle, Col. Mowbrey, being an officer of the state government. They were the parents of eleven children: Mary, married Col. R.S. Williams, both dead; Caroline A., married J.W. Lightfoot, who died in ten months-then she married T.A. Goodwin, both dead; Eli G., our subject; Elizabeth R. near Dallas, Texas, widow of L.D. Holstein; Melvina, Albany, Ga., widow of Thomas Godwin, formally of Milledgeville; Olivia, Austin, Texas, widow of F.K. Wright; David B., on the home place, Baldwin county; Jane A., married Ned Millner, Titus county, Texas; Josephine Ann, deceased wife of William Ross, Dallas, Texas; Melissa A., Milledgeville, widow of Ed White; John L., enlisted in Fourth Georgia regiment, died of measles, Camp Jackson; Norfolk, Va., Aug. 1, 1861. Mr. Hill was principally reared and received his primary education in Baldwin county at the common schools; and afterward attended Oglethorpe university, then flourishing at Midway, Baldwin Co., one of his college mates being Gen. Phil Cook, secretary of state of Georgia, lately deceased. Returning home he was variously employed until 1839, when he moved to what was then Lee county, where, with two negro boys and 200 acres of land presented him by his father, he started in life for himself. He still owns the place, on which he lived until a few years ago, when he moved to Bronwood. In the Creek Indian war he was a member of Capt. Gaither's cavalry company, for which, in 1850, he received a land bounty. When mustered into the service he was only sixteen years old, the youngest member of the company, and is now one of only three survivors of the company-the other two being Judge A.H. Hansell, Thomasville, and Jacob Gunn, Milledgeville. He was a member-and chairman-of the first board of supervisors to look after jurors, continuing on the same eleven or twelve years. He was also a justice of the inferior court for many years. During the unpleasantness he was appointed one of five commissioners in the county to look after the soldiers' families in Terrell county; and in 1878 he was elected to represent the county in the general assembly. Mr. Hill has taken a great interest in every movement proposed which in his judgment would advance the county materially and morally, always supporting candidates best fitted for the position sought-himself neither seeking nor declining office. It has been the special solicitude and delight of his life so to educate his children that they would be intelligent, moral and useful members of society. Himself well educated, well informed generally, of refined thought and manners, he ranks high in all the walks of life. Mr. Hill was happily married Oct. 2, 1842, to Miss Annie V., daughter of P.O. Paris, Warrenton, Ga., where she was born in 1825, and received her early education. In 1841, she graduated from Wesleyan Female college, Macon, Ga. She was a life-long, exemplary and useful member of the Methodist church, and died April 17, 1889, having been the mother of thirteen children: Eugene B., enlisted in sumter light guards, Americus, Ga., Fourth Georgia regiment, in 1861, and was killed July 18, 1864, at Snicker's gap, Shenandoah valley, on Early's retreat from Washington, D.C.; Sarah E., Mrs. Frank Gyles, Americus, Ga.; George O., merchant, Bronwood; Ann S., Mrs. M.A. Marks, died in Florida; Alma C., farming near Bronwood; David B., died in Americus, April, 1893, leaving a wife and six children; Mollie E., single, at home; Myra V., a graduate of Wesleyan Female college, at home; James J., merchant, Bronwood, Ga.; Carrie A., deceased wife of G.C. Price, Macon, Ga.; John L., on the old home place, Terrell county; Inez, Mrs. Dr. N.B. Drewry, Griffin, Ga.; Jessie E., died when two years old. Delightfully domiciled, prosperous, highly and universally respected, and surrounded by an interesting family and appreciative friends, he is pleasantly passing his declining years, patiently awaiting the final summons.

ALMA C. HILL, planter, Bronwood, Terrell Co., Ga., son of Judge Eli G. and Annie V. (Paris) Hill, was born on the family homestead in what is now Terrell (then Lee) county, in 1850. His boyhood was passed on the plantation, and he was educated in the common schools of the county and Rylander academy at Americus. The war between the states interfering, he failed to receive the thorough education intended for him. He remained at home until 1871, when he engaged as agent for the El Paso Stage company, continuing four years. In 1875 he returned and conducted a saw mill and lumber business for several years, and then located at his present home, about six miles east of Dawson, where he has since been engaged in farming. He takes considerable interest, and is very active in politics, but is very conservative. In 1890 he was elected to represent the eleventh senatorial district in the general assembly without opposition; was chairman of the committee on immigration and labor; was very active in his efforts in behalf of the bill placing the telegraph and express companies under the supervision of the railroad commissioners, and was made chairman of the sub-committee appointed on that subject. In 1894 he was elected to represent the county in the general assembly. He is a successful farmer, public-spirited and popular. Mr. Hill was married Jan. 18, 1882 to Miss Ella T., daughter of Dr. S.B. Hawkins, of Americus, Sumter Co., Ga., where she was born and educated. Two sons-Cooper and David B.-have blessed this union. Mrs. Hill is a consistent member of the Presbyterian church.

JAMES J. HILL, merchant, Bronwood, is the son of E.G. Hill and Anna V. Paris. Mr. Hill was born Dec. 25, 1855, and was educated in the common schools of Terrell county. When twenty-one years of age he accepted a position with a mercantile firm in Americus, Ga., and was there employed two years. At the end of that time his experience and knowledge of the business led him to join hands with a partner, and the firm Hill & Simpson was established. This partnership was continued to 1887, when it was dissolved, and Mr. Hill took in as his partner his brother, G.O. Hill. This firm conducts a large general merchandise and supply store in Bronwood. Judge E.G. Hill, father of the above boys, is living in Bronwood a retired life. He is one of Terrell county's leading citizens and best men. Mr. James J. Hill was married in 1886 to Willie Dozier, a daughter of L.P. Dozier of Quitman county. To this union have been born three children, the living being Ethel and Albert P. Mr. Hill was postmaster from 1878 to 1889, under a republican administration, though he is a strong democrat. Mr. and Mrs. Hill are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Hill is a wide-awake business man who believes in keeping in the swim, and takes great interest in the progress and recent development of manufacturing possibilities of Georgia.

W.C. KENDRICK, physician, Dawson, Terrell Co., Ga., son of James C. and Mary (Butler) Kendrick-natives, respectively, of Georgia and Virginia-was born in Morgan county, Ga., in 1831. His paternal great-great-grandfather came from England to America before the revolutionary war, and settled in Virginia, where his great-grandfather, Burwell Kendrick, was born, entered the patriot planter, and two of his sons-Burwell, Jr., and Jones-came to Georgia when young men and settled in Wilkes county as planters. His grandfather, Burwell Kendrick, raised a large family of children, of which Mr. Kendrick's father, James C., was the youngest, and was born in 1801. When he was sixteen years old he volunteered and served under Gen. Jackson in the Florida war. On his return from the war he married, at the early age of eighteen, Miss Mary Butler, who was only sixteen years of age. To them eleven children were born, of whom only two-Burwell J., Waco, Texas, and the subject of this sketch-are now living. Soon after his marriage he entered the ministry as a Baptist, but later in life became a Universalist preacher, and died in that faith in Dawson, in 1884, aged eight-three years. Politically he was an old-line whig. His wife died in Terrell county in 1877, aged seventy-three years. Dr. Kendrick was the sixth born of his parents' children, and was principally raised and educated in Meriwether county, to which his parents moved when he was quite young. After living there fourteen years, they moved to Sumter county, where they also lived fourteen years, when they moved to Webster county, where they lived fourteen years. In 1853, while the family was living in Sumter county, Dr. Kendrick commenced the study of medicine under Dr. William J. Reese, of Buena Vista, Marion Co., Ga., subsequently attended lectures at the university of New York, graduating in 1856, and locating that same year in Talbotton, Ga. He remained there until the spring of 1858, when he went to Fort Smith, Ark. When the war between the states began he returned to Georgia and enlisted as a private in the Twelfth Georgia regiment. A few months he was appointed surgeon, in which capacity he served until the surrender, under Gen. Bragg and his successors. After the war he returned to Webster county, and resuming the practice of medicine, remained there until 1880, when he moved to and settled in Dawson, where he has since resided and built up a large and remunerative practice, and soon became a potent social and political factor. In 1876 and again in 1878 he was elected to represent Terrell county in the general assembly. In 1888 he was elected to represent Terrell county in the same body, and again, after an interval of a term, in 1892. In one respect Dr. Kendrick has been quite unfortunate-he has suffered three times by fire-and each time lost nearly everything he had. But by force of character and his recognized ability in his profession, he has surmounted all difficulties, and keeps well to the front. He has served six years as jury commissioner, also on the board of education, and as one of the trustees of the college. Dr. Kendrick was first married to a Mrs. Kendrick, by whom he had one son-Herschell-who died when twenty-one years old. His second wife was Miss Emma C. Foster, of Georgia birth, daughter of Newett Foster, by who he has had five children: James B., Nita, Mary, Belle, and Lester. He is a stanch democrat and a royal arch Mason, has been W.M. of the lodge in Dawson, and on the finance committee ten years. He is a member of the Baptist church, of which he has been a deacon nearly twenty years, and Mrs. Kendrick is a valued member of the Methodist church.

JOHN T. LAMAR, physician and planter, Dawson, Terrell Co., son of Nathan and Sarah (Brooks) Lamar, was born in Irwin county, Ga., March 10, 1832. The Lamar family descended from three brothers who came from France early in the history of the colonies, one of who settled in Georgia, one in Maryland, and one in a northern state. His grandfather, James Lamar, was descended from the one who settled in Georgia, married Miss Alsanah Howard, Jan. 20, 1790, moved to Alabama, among its earliest settlers, and became one of its most prominent citizens. He was a successful planter and prospered, and lived in Alabama many years. Bereaved of his wife he returned to Georgia and settled in Columbia county, where he died at an advanced age, a consistent member of the Baptist church. They had the following children: Osborn, who died young; Elizabeth, married a Mr. Barnett, who became quiet prominent in Georgia, and died in Greene county, Ga., aged ninety-six; Nathan; Alsanah, married a Mr. Hatter, settled in Columbia county and died Sept. 22, 1871. John H., died in Alabama when a young man. Dr. Lamar's father, Nathan, was born in Alabama, Oct. 13, 1796, was educated in the common schools and grew to manhood in Columbia county; and lived there afterward some years. Thence he moved to Irwin county among its earliest settlers-and settled in the woods. He continued his residence there until about the time the Cherokee Indians were removed, when he moved his family and lived in Crawford and Houston counties until his death, which occurred in 1847. His wife died in Terrell county at the home of the subject of this sketch in 1889-a consistent member of the Baptist church. Five children were born to them: John T., the subject of this sketch; Henry G., born in 1837, planter, Dooly county; Frances, deceased, married first to a Mr. Shria, who died soon after th war, when she married T. Swearingen, and died in Dooly county in 1878; Elizabeth, died unmarried during the late war; Alsanah, Mrs. Gilmore, Dooly county. Dr. Lamar was principally raised and educated in Houston and Crawford counties in the "old-field" schools-and what education he received was obtained before he was twelve years old. In 1848 his mother removed with her family to the Seventh district, Dooly county, where he worked on the farm until January, 1852, when he went to Americus, Ga., and worked as a mechanic a few months. In May that year he went to Starkville, Lee county, and worked at his trade until 1855. During all these years he employed his nights and all leisure time in study and improving his education. Early in 1855 he began the study of medicine with Drs. C.P. Sutton and James A. Tilman, Starksville, and in the winter of 1855-56 attended a course of lectures at the university of New York. About May 1, 1856, he commenced the practice in Lee county, and in January, 1857, located in Dawson, then a small town, and succeeded in building up a fine practice. In 1858 he attended lectures at the Atlanta Medical college, and after his graduation continued his practice in Terrell and adjoining counties. In April, 1862, he enlisted in a cavalry company, of which Rev. Tom Jordan was captain. This company became a part of what was known as the Second Regiment, Georgia cavalry, Col. William J. Lawton, which was stationed at Atlanta a while, then transferred to Chattanooga, where, with a Tennessee and the Eighth Texas regiments it became a part of what was known as the Forrest brigade of cavalry, and was assigned to the western army. He served with this command until the surrender, a portion of the time as assistant surgeon. In May, 1865, he returned to his family, then living at Botsford, Sumter Co., Ga-having gone there in the summer of war-and resumed the practice of his profession. With no money and no property and a growing family of small children, the doctor alludes to this as the darkest period of his life. In 1870 he moved back to Terrell county, where he successfully pursued his profession until his health failed. He owns several farms ranging from 50 to 350 acres each, in the northern part of the county. Dr. Lamar is a member of the distinguished family bearing that name so prominent in the states of Georgia, Mississippi and Texas, and in the national congress and judiciary; and, in his own right, stands high in his profession. Dr. Lamar was married Aug. 13, 1856 to Miss Nancy, daughter of Silas Mercer, a niece of Rev. Jesse Mercer, the eminent and erudite Baptist divine, and founder of Mercer university. She died July 3, 1858, leaving one son-James N., who died when three years old. Mrs. Lamar was an exemplary member of the Baptist church. In 1860 Dr. Lamar married Miss Sarah A., daughter of Hon. John Lawhon, of Terrell county, who had several times represented the county in the general assembly. Seven children have blessed this union: John N., Terrell county; Henry F., died when sixteen years of age; Leonidas Perry; Theophilus Lawhon; Lucius, a graduate of Atlanta Medical college before he was twenty-one, and two years later, of Tulane Medical college, New Orleans, La.; Lavansia; and Lizzie who is highly accomplished. Dr. Lamar is a democrat, was a member of the I.O.O.F. until his lodge forfeited its charter, is a Master Mascon, has been a Worshipful Master, and is a member of the Grand Lodge. Himself and family are prominent and useful members of the Methodist church.

W.W. LEE, Dover, Terrell Co. (post office, Dawson), Ga., merchant and farmer, was born in what is now Terrell county, Nov. 24, 1836, where he was raised and educated. He is the youngest son of Noah P. and Mary Ann (Woolbright) Lee, and brother of Dr. J.T. Lee, whose sketch is given above. For a year after reaching maturity he sold merchandise and then engaged in the leather and shoe business near Dover for a short time. Disposing of this business he bought a tannery in Dawson and carried it on until 1869. Buying a farm near Dover he farmed two years, and then removed to Dawson where for four years he engaged in the warehouse and commission business and then returned to his farm where he has since remained with the exception of four years merchandising in Dover. Mr. Lee did not enter the Confederate service as he was exempt on account of being engaged in the tannery, and having a contract with the Central railway to supply 600 hands with shoes. He, however, volunteered before Gen. Sherman reached Atlanta, and was with a command in his front, but was taken sick with the measles and returned home before the surrender of the city. Mr. Lee married a Mrs. Fulton of Dooly (formerly of Terrell) county, by whom he has had nine children: James P. now living in Texas, Lula S., Mrs. W.S. Thornton, merchant, Dover; Charles S., Dover, married in May, 1895; Mary Willa, married in December, 1894, to Rev. L.J. Ballard, of South Georgia Methodist Conference; Thomas R.; Gussie A.; Thomas, deceased; Ida and Willie. Mr. Lee is a stanch democrat, and himself and family are members of the Methodist church. He is progressive and prosperous as a farmer and merchant, and himself and family stand high socially and financially.

JOHN T. LEE, physician and farmer, Dover, Terrell Co. (postoffice, Dawson), Ga., son of Noah P. and Mary Ann (Woobbright) Lee, was born in Lee county, Ga., Aug. 29, 1835. His paternal grandfather, Solomon P. Lee, was a native of Virginia, where he lived until after his marriage. He married a Miss McGlochlin and moved to North Carolina; after remaining there a few years they migrated to Georgia and settled in Wilkes county, where he lived many years and then removed to Henry county, where he died during the late war, aged ninety-six years. (The day before he died he walked three miles.) He was a volunteer soldier during the war of 1812-14. His wife, who was a member of the Primitive Baptist church, died some years before he did. Of six children born to them, Dr. Lee's father was the second born and the eldest son, and was born in Wilkes county in 1803. He was reared on the farm and received a limited education in the common schools of the county, and after marrying a Miss Woobbright, a lady of Scotch-Irish descent, he removed, August, 1835, to Lee county, Ga., and farmed near Starkville, leaving his family near Chickasawhatchie, where his wife died about 1840. He afterward married a Miss Hayes and settled for a time above Dover, later at a place two and a half miles from Dover, where he died in 1885, aged eighty-two years. He held the office of justice of the peace many years, was a true-blue democrat, and served as a soldier during the Cherokee Indian trouble. He was a member of the Methodist church, of which he was a steward. His last wife died in 1887. By his first marriage, he had four sons: Daniel S., died in Dougherty county, Ga., in 1878; James F., enlisted in the first company from Terrell county that entered the Confederate service, and died in the winter of 1861-62, at White Sulphur Springs, Va.; J.T., the subject of this sketch, and W.W., merchant-farmer, Dover, Terrell Co., Ga. Dr. Lee attained to manhood in Terrell county and was educated in the common schools of the county. When of age he commenced the study of medicine under Drs. Janes & Graves, Dover, and after a year's study attended a course of lectures at the university of Nashville, Tenn. While there he suffered with bronchial affection and came home. Subsequently he went to Savannah and attended Oglethorpe Medical college, graduating in 1860. Returning to Dover he formed a partnership with Dr. Janes, his old preceptor, and engaged in the practice until March, 1862, when he enlisted in Company F, Fifty-first Georgia regiment. In the fall of that year he was detailed as steward of the field hospitals, in which capacity he served until the battle of Knoxville, and when Gen. Longstreet fell back Drs. Lee, Cotton and Pickett were left in charge of the field hospitals. While in the discharge of this duty he was taken prisoner and sent to Fort Delaware, where he was imprisoned until March, 1865. During his service he had two narrow escapes-a shot on one occasion passing through the coat just over the shoulder, and on another occasion a shot passed through his hat. Returning home he farmed a few years and then resumed the practice of his profession. He has also been engaged in merchandising in Dawson and in Gordon county, Ga., and in saw-milling in Coffee county, Ga. In 1882 he returned to Dover, where he has successfully practiced his profession. Dr. Lee was married to Miss Mims, who was a native of Gordon county, Ga., by who he had nine children: Mary F., Mrs. A.J. Wall; Minnie, Mrs. D.A. Bowen; Rosa, Mrs. G.C. Patterson; John Tilden, William C., Richard H., Della E., Rober Early and Dessie. Dr. Lee was a strong democrat and always voted that ticket, but for a few years past he has acted with the people's party. He is a master Mason. Mrs. Lee is a member of the Methodist church.

W.E. LUNDAY, physician and planter, Chickasawhatchie, Terrell Co., Ga., son of Robert and Mary F. (Courvoisie) Lunday, was born in Screven county, Ga., in 1832. His father was born in Mecklenburg county, Va., in 1798, where he was raised and educated and conducted a plantation. He migrated to Georgia and settled in Screven county about forty-seven miles above Savannah and engaged in planting. Later he went to Springfield, Effingham Co., Ga., whence he moved, about 1840, to Albany, Ga., where he lived until he died in 1860, in the sixty-second year of his age. He was an old-line whig, was a member of the Baptist church, of which he was a deacon at the time of his death. His wife was born in Chatham county, Ga., daughter of John Francis William and Mary Courvoisie, of France, and he married her soon after coming to Georgia. She was a Catholic, well educated and highly accomplished, having been educated at the Ursuline convent in Canada. Seven children were born to them: Francis, who died in Albany, Ga.; W.E., the subject of this sketch; Robert, in the Indian Territory; Rebecca, widow of Spicer De Graffenreid, Albany, Ga.; Mary Josephine, widow of James Hill, Macon, Ga.; Catharine Stanley, Macon; Jane Elizabeth, Mrs. Thomas Frierson, Butler, Taylor Co., Ga. Dr. Lunday attained his majority in Albany, where he was educated and prepared for entering the university of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, from which he graduated in medicine in 1855. On his return from college he located in Newton, Baker Co., Ga., where he practiced his profession seven years. He then engaged in planting on a plantation adjoining that of Gen. Colquitt, whence he moved to his present location in Terrell county, where he has since practiced his profession and engaged in planting. he enlisted as a private in the Sixth Georgia regiment, which was assigned to Gen. Alfred H. Colquitt's command. A few months afterward he was detailed as surgeon of the Twelfth Georgia regiment. Just after the battle of Big Bethel in Virginia he was honorably discharged at Yorktown. Subsequently he joined and was surgeon of the Tenth Georgia regiment, state troops. Dr. Lunday owned fifty slaves during the war, for which, in 1864, Judge R.S. Lyons offered him $400 each. Dr. Lunday was married in 1856 to Miss Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Collier, of Butts county, Ga., by whom he had two children: Dollie, deceased wife of William Vincent, Arkansas, and Lula, wife of David Maghee, Floyd, Dooly Co., Ga. Mrs. Lunday, who was a member of the Baptist church, died Jan. 2, 1860, aged twenty-two years. For his second wife Dr. Lunday married Miss Mary Isabella, daughter of Rev. Churchwell Anderson Crowell, formerly of South Carolina, where she was born. Mr. Crowell, who was a minister of the Methodist church for fifty years, moved from South Carolina to Cass (now Bartow) county, whence, about the time Gen. Sherman entered Georgia, he moved to Terrell county and settled on the Chickasawhatchie, where Dr. Lunday married his daughter. Nine children have blessed this union: Annie, Mrs. J.D. Geise, Sasser, Terrell Co.; Willie, lives in Texas; Blanche, Mrs. Emmett Aicardi, Texas; Crowell, Terrell county; Mary Hill, Frank, Belle, Christine and Oliver, all home. Mrs. Lunday is an exemplary member of the Methodist Church. Before the unpleasantness was precipitated the doctor was an old-line whig, but since the surrender he has voted with the democracy. There are few cozier or pleasanter homes in Georgia than this, no happier domestic circle. It is situated near breastworks constructed during the Florida war.

DUNCAN P. McLAIN, a prominent planter of Herod, Terrell Co., Ga., was born in Bladen county, N.C., in 1823, and was the son of James McLain, who was born in the same county in 1795. His father (grandfather of the subject of this sketch) was Peter McLain, a Scotchman from the Isle of Skye; came to America when a single man, about the time of the revolutionary war, in which he served as a soldier. He married a Miss Wethersby of North Carolina, and settled in Bladen county, where he engaged in farming. He was a strict Methodist and a man highly respected by all who know him. He died about 1823. To this union three sons were born: James, the father of the subject of this sketch; Hugh, who died in Americus, Ga., about 1870, and John, who died in Clarke county, Ala. The mother of these children came to Georgia about 1829, and settled in Houston county. She died in Botsford, Sumter Co., Feb 11, 1874. James McLain died in Dooly county some years before the death of his mother. Duncan P. McLain grew to manhood in Sumter and Houston counties. He married Miss I.J. McDonald, who was the daughter of John B. McDonald, a native of Bladen county, N.C. Mr. McDonald's father was also a native of the Isle of Ski, and came to America about the time the original McLain did. John B. McDonald moved to Crawford county about 1829, where Mrs. Duncan P. McLain was born in 1836. She was the eldest child and was reared in Sumter county. Mr. and Mrs. McLain moved to Henry county, Ala., soon after their marriage, where they engaged in farming, continuing until the breaking out of the war, when the husband enlisted in the army and served till the close of the war. He was made a prisoner at Nashville, Tenn., and sent to Camp Chase, Ohio, where he was kept until the surrender of Lee. He then returned to his family, which had moved to Sumter county, Ga., where they lived until 1875, when he settled at what is known as Herod postoffice, Terrell Co., where he is extensively engaged in farming. He is a member of the Methodist church, of which he is a steward, and superintendent of the Sunday school. In politics Mr. McLain is a democrat, but his attention has been more given to business with the most successful results. He is a thoroughly self-made man and his large estate he has acquired entirely through his own efforts. By this marriage Mr. McLain had several children. Kennet McLain, the oldest son, went as a missionary to China, but owing to bad health had to return to America and was preaching in Atlanta when he sickened and died. Rev. McLain was a most promising young man, of a brilliant mind and possessing a fine education. His loss was deeply felt by many friends and the cause of religion. James J. McLain now lives in Herod; W.A. is a merchant at Dawson, Ga., and was married to Miss Fannie Barrow, of Madison, Ga., a daughter of Prof. S. Barrow. They have on child, William Kennet. George T., the fourth son, now deceased, was a partner with W.A. in the business at Dawson; D.F. is a merchant at Dawson; Anna Bell, the youngest child and only daughter, lives at home. The mother of these children, a consistent and highly respected member of the Methodist church, died in 1884. Mr. McLain married for is second wife Miss Lucy Rogers, daughter of David Rogers, of Sumter county, born June 26, 1854. They live in a beautiful country residence near Herod.

JAMES J. McLAIN, merchant-planter, Herod, Terrell Co., Ga., son of Duncan P. and Isabella J. McLain, was born in Henry county, Ala., Nov. 24, 1856. His father soon after his marriage, moved to Alabama, and purchased land in Henry county, where he lived until the war between the states began. He then enlisted in an Alabama regiment, which was subsequently consolidated with the Twenty-fifth Alabama regiment. During the war the family moved back to Georgia and settled in Sumter county. After some years his father removed to Terrell county, which has since been his home. Mr. McLain's boyhood and youth were spent in Henry county, Ala., and in Sumter and Terrell counties, Ga., where he was principally educated in the common schools of the county. His services being needed on the farm he attended school but little after settling in Terrell county. On attaining his majority Mr. McLain married and settled on a farm near the home place-where he still lives, and has prospered. He is now, in addition to his large farming interests, engaged in merchandising, as a member of the firm of Haas, Harris, Brim & McLain, who carry a large stock of general merchandise, and transact a large and profitable business. In 1892 Mr. McLain was appointed postmaster at Herod. Mr. McLain was married Nov. 9, 1879, to Miss Cannie Hood, daughter of John Hood, formerly of north Georgia. Her father died during the civil war, and she was a child when her family moved to Terrell county, where she was educated in the country schools, and at Dawson, and grew to womanhood. Their union has been blessed with seven children: Alma, Maude E., Ruby K., Mary Isabella, Bessie L., George K., James P. He is a working democrat, one of the leading men of the county, and a prominent member of the Methodist church. Mrs. McLain is a member of the Baptist church. They have a delightful home, and the family is popular in the social circles of the community.

MATTHEW MARSHALL, planter, Sasser, Terrell Co., Ga., son of Matthew and Margaret (King) Marshall, was born in Houston county, Ga. in 1834. Mr. Marshall's father was born in Ohio, and when a young man migrated to North Carolina and settled in Rockingham county, where not long afterward he married, came to Georgia, and settled in Jones county. Soon afterward he moved to Houston county, and after farming a few years on rented land settled on an unimproved place, where he died, about 1840, aged about sixty years. He was a consistent member of the Baptist church. In 1852 his widow moved with her family to Lee county, Ga., and settled a place on which she lived until after the war, when she came to Sasser and made her home with the subject of this sketch until her death, which occurred in 1873. To them eleven children were born, all growing to maturity, and four of who still survive: James N., moved to Yazoo county, Miss., entered the Confederate service, lost an eye in the war, was a planter afterward, died in 1887; Emily, deceased wife of R.E. Story, Houston county; Rhoda, Mrs. William Moreland, Terrell county; Levi enlisted in Company H, Thirteenth Georgia regiment, and died of sickness at Staunton, Va., in 1863; William moved to Yazoo county, Miss., enlisted in the Confederate service, and died in Holmes county, Miss., about 1864; Polly, deceased wife of Henry King, Lee county; Matthew, the subject of this sketch; Thomas J., a member of the Eleventh Georgia regiment, died in Richmond, leaving a family; Sarah J., died in 1853, unmarried; Rebecca, Mrs. A.J. McClendon, Terrell county; Margaret, married Jehu Davis, who was killed during the war; and she is now Mrs. W.S. Bowen, Terrell county, Mr. Marshall was raised principally in Houston county, where he received a fair common school education. When eighteen years old he accompanied his mother to Lee county, and assisted on the farm until 1861, when hen enlisted in Company H, Capt. Spearman, Thirteenth Georgia regiment, and left Dawson July 5, 1861, for the army. He participated in the seven days' fight around Richmond, and the battles at Gettysburg and Fredericksburg, and was captured in the battle in which Stonewall Jackson was killed; was taken to and detained ten days in Washington city, then sent to Fort Delaware. After twenty days' imprisonment he was exchanged and immediately returned to Jackson's division, then under the command of Gen. Early. He was a participant in the fight on the Susquehanna when the bridge at Wrightsville was burned; was at Gettysburg in the hottest of the fight; then in the Shenandoah valley, where there were engagements of more or less importance almost every day-receiving a severe flesh wound by being shot through the left thigh at Strasburg-and was at Petersburg when that city was evacuated. He was again taken prisoner there, and sent to Point Lookout, where he was held until after the surrender. He experienced many hardships, and suffered many privations while in the service, but endured it all as the faithful patriotic soldier that he was should. In the battle at Gettysburg he had his cartridge box on one side, his canteen on the other, and both were several times shot through with minie balls; and at other battles his clothing was many times perforated. After the surrender, and his release from Point Lookout, he returned to his mother's plantation in Lee county. Nov. 2, 1865, he married Mrs. Sarah Jane (nee King) McClendon, who died April 4, 1886. She was a consistent member of the Baptist church. September 15, following, Mr. Marshall married Miss Rebecca J. King (a cousin of his first wife), daughter of John King, of Houston county, where she was reared and educated, who has borne him five children. Sallie Maggie; Willie Irene; John Matthew, died in 1893; John M.; Marshallie. In 1865 he purchased a place on the Chickasawhatchie creek; about two miles from where he now lives, and which he still owns. In 1881 he settled on his present place about half a mile from Sasser, where he has about 700 acres under splendid cultivation, and a delightful home, where he is enjoying life surrounded by hosts of warm friends. He is one of the best, and one of the leading farmers in Terrell county. Himself and wife are exemplary members of Primitive Baptist church, of which he has been a deacon for twenty years.

WILLIAM MORELAND, planter, Dawson, Terrell Co., Ga., son of Edward and Nancy (McClendon) Moreland, was born in Jones county, Ga., Nov. 18, 1822. Mr. Moreland's grandfather was a weaver by trade and went among the Cherokee Indians a great deal teaching them how to weave. Finally he went among them, and as he was never heard from it was supposed he had died. He left two children-Edward and Sallie-who were thus made orphans, and were reared by an aunt Atkinson in Jones county. Sallie married Burrell McClendon, who, after living a number of years in Bibb county, moved to and settled in what is now Terrell county. Here Mr. Moreland's father married his wife, oldest child of John McClendon, formerly of South Carolina. He lived in Jones county until he had six children, when he moved, about 1832, to within four miles of where the subject of this sketch is now living. It was partially improved, and a portion of the tract forms a part of the estate of Gen. Phil Cook. He lived on this place until he died, in 1844, in the fifty-first year of his age. He became a cripple when a young man, but it did not affect his energy or determination of purpose. He was an old-line whig in politics, and a member of the Methodist church, of which he was a class leader many years. His maternal grandfather, John McClendon, was a native of South Carolina, whence, after he had considerable of a family he moved to Alabama. Not being pleased he shortly returned to South Carolina. Not long afterward he came to Georgia and settled in Jones county, whence, about 1830, he moved to Lee county and settled on land which is now a part of Gen. Phil Cook's estate, where he lived until he died, in his seventy-first year. In politics he was an uncompromising whig. His wife was Miss Dicey Blackwell, born in South Carolina, and they reared a large family of children. To Mr. Moreland's parents ten children were born, all of whom but one grew to maturity: John, who was a volunteer in the Florida war, died in 1891 while on a visit to that state; Bartley (deceased), moved to Arkansas, and served in the army during the late unpleasantness; William M., the subject of this sketch; Martha, deceased wife of George W. King, Alabama; Dicey, deceased wife of James Brown, Terrell county; Joseph went to Pike county, Ala., enlisted in the Confederate service, was taken sick at the siege of Vicksburg, and died on the way home; Newton was in the service with his brother Joseph, was taken sick and died at Vicksburg; Elizabeth, widow of Calvin C. Kersey, formerly of Lee, now Terrell county; Dennis went to Alabama, entered the Confederate service in which he died; Sallie died when a child. The mother of these children died when about forty-five years of age-a consistent member of the Methodist church. For his second wife Mr. Moreland married Mrs. Polly (nee McClendon) Hawkins, by whom he had one child, Hugh, now living in Louisiana. Mr. Moreland was in his eleventh year when his father moved to Lee from Jones county, where he had enjoyed excellent school facilities. These were quite limited in his new home; and his father's crippled condition making it necessary for the older children to assist in the plantation work, he was deprived of further school advantages. But when he became of age he attended subscription schools several months, much to his advantage. In 1848 he moved to where he now lives, eight miles east of Dawson, in sight of which he has lived more that sixty years, and commenced farming, which has been his life occupation. When he located where he is the country was comparatively unsettled, and his nearest white neighbor was five miles distant, and very little clearing except along Middle creek. In 1863 he enlisted in the Sixty-fourth Georgia regiment under Gen. A.H. Colquitt, and served until the battle of Ocean Pond, Fla., Oct. 20, 1864, when he was seriously wounded by being shot through the right choulder by a minie ball, fracturing the bone. He was sent to the hospital at Tallahassee, Fla., and soon afterward given a furlough and came home. While at home he was taken sick and could not re-enter the service, so he went to Virginia, where his command was and secured an honorable discharge. He then returned to his farm to which he has since given his undivided attention. His first purchase of land was sixty acres, to which he added from time to time until owned 800 acres. Unambitious of office, and having no higher worldly aspiration that that of being a good citizen and neghbor, he has pursued the quiet life of a farmer, devoting himself exclusively to his farming interests. He makes plenty and to spare; possessing a pleasant home and the affectionate regard of his family and the unreserved esteem of his fellow-citizens. Mr. Moreland was married in Houston county, Ga., Dec. 16, 1847, to Miss Rhoda Marshall-born Jones county, Ga.k in 1827-by whom he has had seven children: Barley, living on adjoining plantation; Nancy, deceased wife of Nathan Davis; Martha, Mrs. J.T. King, Terrell county; Sallie, deceased wife of J.T. Kitchens; Rebecca, Mrs. Dr. J.R. Kidd, Preston, Webster Co., Ga.; Victoria, Mrs. J.T. Kitchens, Terrell county; W.E., living on a part of the old homestead. Before the war Mr. Moreland was an old-line whig, but since the war he has voted with the democracy. Himself and wife are exemplary and revered members of the Primitive Baptist church.

W.D. MURRAY, farmer, Dawson, Terrell Co., Ga., son of Moses W. and Eliza B. (Warnock) Murray, was born in Charleston district, S.C., in 1828. His grandfather, Rev. Moses Murray, was a local Methodist preacher, was born and raised in Charleston district, where he planted and preached all his life, and died there at an advanced age in 1838. His wife, Margaret (Bunch) Murray, was of Dutch descent, was also born in Charleston district and survived her husband may years. She was a very devoted member of the Methodist church, and was a regular attendant at the camp meetings held yearly at Providence camp ground, near Charleston, where they had a tent. To them six children were born: Ann, married Rev. John Bunch of the South Carolina conference, who died in Florida at the advanced age of ninety years, having been blind many years before her death; Moses W., father of our subject; Lovick Pierce, who went to Louisiana and farmed in early life, then returned to Georgia, and after farming awhile engaged in milling. He finally settled near Norcross, Gwinnett Co., leaving a good estate and a widow, who is still living; Dilla, deceased wife of John Durr, who came to Georgia and farmed awhile, then moved back to South Carolina, where she died; Margaret, deceased wife of John S. Wimberly, farmer and wheelwright, Calhoun county, Ga.; Mary ann, married Joseph Inabnett and came to Georgia and settled in Baker county, where she died. Mr. Murray's father was the second child and oldest son to the family, and was born in Charleston district, S.C., in 1800, where he was raised and given a common school education. When attaining manhood he married Eliza B. Warnock, born in Charleston, only daughter of Gabriel Warnock, a native of England. His wife was left a widow with three sons and one daughter (the mother of our subject). The sons were: John, who died in Calhoun county, Ga.; S.C., who died near the old home place; Joseph, who was a prominent Methodist minister, lived to be quite old before he died. In 1843, Mr. Murray's father moved with his family to Georgia, by wagon, and settled on land in Baker county, now included in Calhoun county, on which he lived until 1872, when he died. He furnished a substitute during the Cherokee Indian trouble. In politics he was a whig, but took no active part as a partisan, devoting his time and attention to his farm and family. He was an active and exemplary member of the Methodist church, of which he was a steward, and a class leader from early manhood. His wife was also a devoted member of the same church, and died in 1878. They were the parents of eight children: James R.N., who died with pneumonia in 1861; W.D., the subject of this sketch; Elizabeth M., deceased wife of Dr. Walter T. Murchison, Arlington, Calhoun Co., Ga.; Mary, in Florida, widow of John Murchison; Moses H., died near Albany, Ga., March 11, 1894; Sarah, Mrs. L.M. Leonard, Terrell county; S.T.C. Cochran, Pulaski Co., Ga.; and Dorothy Selatha, Mrs. Larkin Johnson, Terrell county. Mr. Murray received his boyhood schooling in South Carolina, an interesting incident of which was, that one of his teachers, Peter Eggleston, and old Englishman, was also a teacher of his father. Although only a youth he was mustered into the South Carolina militia before he left the state. He received some schooling after coming to Georgia. What he lacked in the educational advantages when growing up he was largely supplied by close observation and practical life-experience. On reaching maturity he began farming for himself in Baker county. During the latter part of the civil war he served in Wheeler's cavalry, participated in the battle of July 22, 1864, in other fights, and skirmishes around Atlanta, in Wheeler's raid in Tennessee, covering Johnson's retreat, and at Aiken, S.C. He is an old-time democrat, and cast his first vote for George W. Towns for governor of Georgia. Although taking an active part in politics he never aspired to office, but served many years as a justice of the peace. In 1894 he was elected to represent his district in the general assembly. Mr. Murray when twenty-four years of age married Miss Elizabeth Jones, daughter of Bryant Jones, a prominent Early county farmer. She was born in Florida in 1833, and when she was a little girl her parents moved to Early county. They have no children, but have twin boys, nephews, sons of Moses H. Murray, who they received into their family in 1875, when they were eleven months old. Mr. Murray is a master Mason, and has presided as worshipful master of his lodge. Mrs. Murray and family are exemplary members of the Methodist church.

W.B. OXFORD, planter, Dawson, Terrell Co., Ga., son of John and Jane (Baker) Oxford, was born in Lumpkin county, Ga. in 1836. His great grandparents came from Europe and settled in North Carolina, where they raised a quite large family of children. His paternal grandfather, Jonathan Oxford-born in 1765-was one of eight sons of this family, no two of who settled in the same state; one was killed at the battle of New Orleans. Jonathan married a Miss White, born in North Carolina, and settled in Buncombe county, that state, where four children-three sons and on daughter-were born to him. He then moved to Georgia, settled first in Lumpkin county, where he remained until 1845-46, when he went to Walker county, where he prospered as a farmer, and died in 1850, aged eighty-five years. He accumulated some property as a farmer and stock raiser, and was a democrat in politics. His wife died some years later very old. Their children were: Jacob, who first settled in Georgia, and later moved to middle Tennessee; David, died in Whitfield county, Ga., never married; Elizabeth, married James Owenby, who died, and then she married William Hall and went to Kansas; and John. The last named was Mr. Oxford's father, who was born in Buncombe county, N.C., Nov. 24, 1799, where he was raised on the farm. He married Miss Jane Baker of Ashe county, N.C., and after living a short time in Buncombe, migrated to Georgia about 1825, coming in a four-horse wagon through the mountains (a pleasant and interesting trip, although the country was wild, mountainous and sparsely peopled), and settled in Lumpkin county. About the time of the Cherokee purchase he moved to Walker county, where he lived until after the battle of Chickamauga, when he refugeed to Terrell county and located in Dawson, where he died in 1882. He assisted in removing the Cherokees from Georgia. His wife, born in 1804, died in Walker county in 1854. Himself and wife were members of the MIssionary Baptist church. To them eleven children were born. Those living are: Amanda J., wife of W.R. Russell, Whitfield county; W.B., the subject of this sketch; John H., Terrell county; C.F., Terrell county; Josephine, Mrs. B.F. Commander, Fannin county, Tex. Those deceased are: James H., accidentally shot himself while hunting; Nancy, deceased wife of John Puryear, Walker county, Ga.; Sarah L., deceased wife of J.C. O'Neal, Walker county; Louisa, died when fourteen years old; Elizabeth, deceased wife of H.B. Cobb, Fannin county, Tex.; David W., accidentally killed in Dawson in 1870 while under a tent during Ames show, by a shot fired outside. After the death of his wife he married Mrs. John Oxford (nee White) Ellis, by whom he had three children: Lee, Whitfield county; the other two died young. His widow is yet living in Whitfield county, Ga. Mr. Oxford was raised on the farm and educated in Walker county, where he lived until he reached maturity-1857-when he went to Texas and engaged in clerking until the war between the states began. He then enlisted in the Third Texas regiment cavalry, commanded by Gen. Ben McCulloch, and participated in the battle of Oak Hill-where Gen. Lyons was killed-and Pea Ridge, in the Missouri campaign. He was then transferred to east of the Mississippi river under Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston, and afterward to Gen. Bragg's command. After the battle of Chickamauga he was in no important battle, but was in numerous minor engagements. In 1873, he moved to Terrell county and purchased the tract of land on which he now lives, then partially improved, to which he has added until his holding amounts to 800 acres, 500 in one body, most of which is under fine cultivation. He is one of Terrell's most prominent and substantial citizens. He was at one time tax collector of the county, and was one of the commissioners in charge of the building of the new court house. Mr. Oxford was married to Miss Mary Commander, daughter of John Wesley of Macon county, who has borne him nine children: Nancy J., deceased wife of John S. Jones, leaving four children; John T., on home place, married Miss Minnie Marshall and has two children; Mattie, Mrs. John M. Wall, Terrell county, one child; William H.; B.C.; Mary J.; D.M.; and J.H., at home, and a boy-baby, which died unnamed. Mr. Oxford is a strong democrat and a master Mason. Himself and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church.

JAMES GUYTON PARKS, attorney-at-law, Dawson, Terrell Co., Ga., son of Wiley G. and Tabitha (Guyton) Parks-born, respectively, in North Carolina and Georgia-was born in Laurens county, Ga., June 28, 1853. His father was born in North Carolina in 1818, the youngest of a large family of children, some of whom became prominent in the professions and the ministry, one as pastor of Trinity church, New York city. He came to Georgia when a young man and settled in Floyd county, where he read law, and was admitted to the bar in Rome, Ga. About this time he made his home with Rev. Dabney P. Jones, a prominent Methodist minister, but more generally and popularly known throughout Georgia and Alabama as "Uncle Dabney", and as an influential temperance lecturer. The close association with "Uncle Dabney" growing out of this relationship, and the influence the beloved philanthropist exercised, resulted in Mr. Parks' deciding to become an itinerant Methodist preacher, and he applied for admission to and was accepted by the Georgia conference. He acceptably filled many important pastorates and the presiding eldership of districts. He was in charge of Terrell circuit when the war between the states began, when he raised a company, of which he was elected captain, and entered the Confederate service. After the war he was elected judge of the county court, which he held some years, and engaged in the practice of law. Later he was elected ordinary, an office which he held until the year before he died, in 1877, aged fifty-nine years. In early life he was an old-line whig, but late in life he became a democrat, and was an enthusiastic supporter of Samuel J. Tilden for the presidency. He was an exemplary member of the Methodist church, and exercised a wide and powerful influence. Mrs. Parks' parents were of eminent South Carolina families, who early in life came to Georgia, where she was born. She is still living, has been a life-long ardent and active member of the Methodist church, and makes her home with her son, the subject of this sketch. Their family of children consisted of six: James Guyton; William S., deceased, secretary Lamar Drug company, Atlanta, Ga., eminent as a pharmacist; Carrie, wife of F.E. Clark, cashier Dawson National bank; Lloyd B., of the George Muse Clothing company, Atlanta; Helen, wife of L.F. Cater, merchant, Perry, Houston Co., Ga., and Frank L. Mr. Parks was educated and prepared for college at the best schools in Dawson, then entered the university of Georgia, Athens, graduating in the law department in 1874. He was for a short time a professor in the South Georgia Male institute, Dawson, and subsequently a member of the board of trustees. He was chosen as a trustee of the Southwest Georgia Agricultural college, at Cuthbert, in 1880, and that same year was elected to represent the Eleventh senatorial district in the general assembly, and was re-elected in 1882, being elected each time without opposition. In 1881 he edited the "Dawson Journal", and 1885 was appointed on the board of visitors to the university of Georgia. In 1888 he was appointed, and still continues to be, local attorney of the Central Railroad and Banking company of Georgia. Mr. Parks was married Oct. 19, 1875, to Miss Eola G. daughter of Prof. William H. Allen, by whom he has had three children: William Wiley, deceased; James Guyton, Jr., and Warren B. He is a gentleman of culture and ranks with the foremost in ability and in social, financial and political circles, and wields a far-reaching salutary influence.

J.L. PARROTT, merchant-planter, Parrott, Terrell Co., Ga., son of James and Harriet (Dennard) Parrott, was born in Twiggs county, Ga. His paternal grandfather was a native of France, came to Georgia and settled in Washington county late in the last century. Mr. Parrott's parents were born in Washington county-the father in 1795, the mother in 1800. While they were yet children their parents moved to Twiggs county, Ga., where, when grown, they were married. In 1834, with three children, they moved to Stewart county (pioneers) and settled near Lumpkin. In 1834 a tract of improved land (then in Randolph county) was bought, where the subject of this sketch now lives, where his father died Jan. 19, 1865, and his mother October, 1888. Mr. Parrott served as a volunteer in the Indian war. To them eight children were born, of who there are now living: Laura, Mrs. Samuel Stokes, Terrell county; Mary A., same county; J.L., the subject of this sketch; Louisa Virginia, Mrs. L.M. Jumper, Parrott, Ga. Those deceased are: Benjamin, died when eighteen years old; Augustus, enlisted in the Thirty-first Georgia regiment, was captured, and the last seen of him was in Point Lookout (Md.) prison; Martha (Mrs. Whaley) and Harriet. Mr. Parrott was raised in the vicinity where he now lives, and was educated in the common schools of the county. At the age of nineteen he commenced farming for himself and was thus engaged when the war between the states began. He enlisted in Company K, Seventeenth Georgia regiment, under Gen. Henry L. Benning, formerly of Columbus. He saw much arduous service and participated in many hard-fought battles, among them second Manassas, seven days' fight around Richmond, Sharpsburg, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Petersburg and many minor engagements. In 1863 his command was ordered south and took part in the battles at Knoxville and Chickamauga and numerous small engagements and skirmishes. After two years' service as a private he was elected first lieutenant and held the office till hostilities ceased. He received two fleshwounds, one at Gettysburg and one a Chickamauga, during his service and was furloughed but once, and that was just before the surrender, which occurred after he reached Virginia, but before he reached his command. After the war he returned to his farm and is now very extensively engaged in farming and is also financially interested in various other enterprises. In 1889, about a year before the Columbus Southern (Columbus to Albany) railway was built he laid out the town-named Parrott, in compliment to him-which has become a very considerable trading point. Mr. Parrott has taken great pride and a lively interest in the development and prosperity of the town, which now has the Parrott high school, sustained by subscription, a Methodist and Missionary Baptist church, seven stores, two ginneries, a planing mill, grist mill, variety works and hotel and livery stable, all doing a prosperous business. Soon after the town, which is located on the Columbus Southern railway nine miles northwest of Dawson, was founded, it was established as a postoffice. Mr. Parrott has been mayor of the town until within a year and is a member of the board of trustees of the high school. He is a solid democrat and is one of the large planters and one of the substantial citizens of the county. He has done himself and the county great injustice by remaining unmarried.

JAMES C. SIMPSON, merchant-planter, Bronwood, Terrell Co., Ga., son of William G. and Alice A. (Johnson) Simpson, was born within three miles of his present home Dec. 1, 1856. On his father's side he is of Irish descent-his great-great-grandfather coming from Ireland to America and settling in North Carolina. With his sons he engaged in milling near Fayetteville, in that state, and followed it many years. Mr. Simpson's grandfather, James Simpson, married Miss Priscilla Williams, of Duplin county, N.C., and died comparatively young, in 1826 or 1827, leaving his widow with three children. His widow married Daniel Kennedy, North Carolina born, who came to Georgia in 1830 and settled in that part of Lee county subsequently included in Terrell county. He was a soldier in the last war with Great Britain, an old-line whig, and very highly esteemed as a citizen. He died in 1869, far advanced in years, and his wife died in 1885, in her eighty-fifth year. Both were devoted members of the Primitive Baptist church. The children she bore her first husband, James Simpson, were: John J., who was quite active and influential in politics subsequently to the late unpleasantness, was sheriff of Lee county many years, and afterward sheriff of Terrell county, dying while in the office, leaving a quite large family; Priscilla, unmarried and living at Bronwood, and William G. Mr. Simpson's father was born in North Carolina in 1825, and when the family came to Georgia and settled in Lee (on land now included in Terrell) county, was a small boy. He grew to manhood on the farm and was educated at the common schools of the county. He remained with the family until 1854, when he settled near the old homestead and engaged in planting. In 1862 he enlisted in the Fifty-first Georgia regiment, was made third lieutenant, and with his command participated in several important battles-Second Manassas (where he received a flesh wound from a spent ball), Gettysburg, Petersburg and many minor engagements. On account of ill health he was honorably discharged. After remaining at home a few months he went to the coast and made salt until a short time before the surrender, when he came home and joined the militia, but being taken sick with pneumonia, he was compelled to come home for good. Just before the surrender he was elected justice of the peace, and in 1874 was elected to represent the county in the general assembly. He was married in January 1854, to Miss Alice A. Johnson, born in Barnwell district, S.C., Dec. 5, 1834, daughter of Haley Johnson, who with his family, including six children, came from South Carolina to Georgia in 1844, and settled first at Smithville, Lee Co., and later on a plantation near where Dawson now stands. He was a stanch democrat, took great interest in politics, and although exempt by age, did active service in the latter part of the war. His wife, a Primitive Baptist, died in 1863, aged fifty-three years, and he died in 1884, aged seventy years. Six children were born to them: James M., in Virginia; Sophia, deceased wife of James Lester; Alice A., mother of the subject of this sketch; George, killed in battle, Knoxville, Tenn; Lizzie, deceased wife of Garrard Sassar, Shellman, Ga.; Edward, served through the war, now in Texas. Mr. Simpson's father was successful as a planter, saw-mill man and merchant, and died July 15, 1885, and his mother died June 27, 1894. She was a devout and exemplary member of the Methodist church. Five sons blessed their union, of whom three are living: John Haley, James C.,the subject of this sketch, and William Lafayette, Bronwood. The two deceased are: Samuel Whitfield, died aged two years and six months, and Walter J., died when eleven months old. Mr. Simpson was raised in and was educated in the common schools of Terrell county, and in 1874-75 took a course in Moore's Business college, Atlanta. He afterward devoted his attention for many years to farming. Later he engaged in merchandising, first at Sasser and subsequently at Bronwood, where he is farming and conducting a general merchandise store, and prospering in both. His only interest in politics is to vote for the best qualified, upright candidate. He married Miss Belle, daughter of Col. R.F. Crittenden, of Shellman, Randolph Co., Ga., a graduate of Andrew Female college, Cuthbert, Ga. To them two children have been born: Alice P. and Robert C.

J.H. WILLIFORD, physician and druggist, Parrott, Terrell Co., Ga., son of Samuel and Martha H. (Dismukes) Williford, was born in what is now Webster county in 1852. His grandfather, William Williford, was a native of North Carolina, migrated to Georgia early in this century, and settled in what is now Madison county, where he raised a large family. Here Dr. Williford's father was born in 1810. Madison county was laid off in 1811, and his mother was born in Clark county in 1821-yet living, and very robust for her age. His father was raised a farmer and educated at the country schools, was with the force which accompanied the Cherokee Indians to Indian Territory in 1836, read law and was admitted to the bar, and held a government position in Milledgeville. After his removal to what is now Webster county he taught school in connection with practicing law, conducting a planting interest and operating a saw mill-using the first circular saw used in that portion of the state. He accumulated a valuable property, including large tracts of land, was one of the progressive men in his section, and kept fully abreast with the times in politics and general-advancement. He was held in high estimation by his fellow citizens, a stanch democrat in politics, a master Mason, and a member of the Methodist church, of which he was steward for many years. During the late unpleasantness he served in the state militia and died in 1882, aged seventy-two years. Dr. Williford's mother was thirteen years old when her parents moved to what is now Webster county, where she was educated and grew to womanhood. Her father, William Dismukes, was one of the early settlers and encountered all the privations, hardships and danger from Indian depredations incident to frontier life. She is the oldest of four children yet living, the other three being: Dr. Dismukes, Weston, Webster Co., Ga.; Columbus W., near Weston, and Jane, widow of Augustus Parrott, also near Weston. Mrs. Williford is an exemplary and revered member of the Methodist church, and of the children born to her four are living: Samuel L., Webster county; J.H., the subject of this sketch; Mary (Mrs. Hardwick), Webster county; Ella V., (Mrs. Bowman), Bronwood, Terrell Co. Dr. Williford was raised and received his primary education in Webster county and at Hogansville, Ga.; then took his first medical course at Miami Medical college, Cincinnati, Ohio, and his second course at the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, from which he was graduated before attaining his majority. He located near where Parrott now stands and practiced in Terrell county about five years, when he removed to Webster county, near his old home. He remained there until Parrott began to build up, when he moved to the new town and in connection with his practice engaged in merchandising under the firm name or Williford & Whaley. He continued this until the fire in 1892, when he was burned out and lost heavily. He continued his practice with satisfactory success and is the leading physician of his locality. In February, 1894, he established a drug store in Parrott and has secured a growing and profitable trade. He commenced merchant-life with his father and continued it after his father's death. He was also at one time engaged in saw-milling, but the mill was destroyed by fire, involving a loss of $3,000. He was postmaster some years at Chenubee, Webster Co., and is now postmaster at Parrott. Dr. Williford has been married twice. He was first married to Miss Eudora C. Gunnells, sister of Charley Gunnells, Bronwood, now deceased, leaving two children: Paula V. and Charley H., both at home attending school. His second marriage was to Miss Eula L. Whaley, who has borne him two children: Eudora Dodie and Mignon. The doctor and his wife are prominent members of the Methodist church. (see Photo)

Please keep in mind that these memoirs were written about 1890 and references to current events refer to that time period.

 

Terrell County's neighbors are Sumter, Calhoun, Lee, Dougherty, Randolph, and Webster.