Photographs of early

Lowndes County GA

Lowndes County GAGenWeb

A proud part of GAGenWeb

If you have additions or corrections, please let me know.

Wood fired still was built by Cowper Irby Shelton in 1900 at Indianola, torn down in 1948.  Gum was brought from the woods and distilled into turpentine and rosin and stored in barrels.  Photo from early 1900s.

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

Plantation home of Berry Wells, ca  1860 or later.

 

One of the earlier plantations in the area.  Mr Wells owned

75-100 slaves, had a carpentry shop and a moonshine still

on his property.

 

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

ca 1889 picnic Lowndes County. 

Please advise if you know who the family members are.

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

Simmons Harrell, wife and family in front of their first home near Lenon or Staunton.  Ca 1890. He had interests in naval stores,

lumber, cotton gins, bricks and managed several farms.

 

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

Field of Spanish Peanuts being thrashed and sacked. The

 yield was 60 bushels per acre.  early 1900s

 

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

Home of William Stanley West at 904 North Patterson.

It was begun in 1898 and took three years to complete.

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

The first milk truck of J E Vallotton's Dairy, 1922

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

 

Valdosta Street Railway Co car, from Valdosta to Pine Park.  Ca 1900

This was a summer car.  Valdosta was one of the smallest towns with a street railway system.

 

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

 

Interior of Vinson and Barnes Drugstore at Christmas, early 1900s

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

Valdosta Bottling Works which produced Red Race Ginger Ale,

located at 103 North Ashley St

 

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

A train load of buggies for C R Ashley who had a buggy and wagon business. Sept 28 1901.  Valdosta.

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

Circus Wagons and animals participate in parade along Patterson St, 29 Oct 1899

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

 

The Valdosta Ice and Lighting Company.  First Electric light and ice manufacturing plant in Valdosta.  Formed in 1890, offices were on South Toombs St..  Photo ca early 1900s.

Photo courtesy of Vanishing Georgia, Georgia Archives

 

 

Back to Home Page

This page was last updated on -04/28/2018

 

Copyright 1999-present The GAGenWeb Project Team