Madison County Geography

wpe126.jpg (13233 bytes)

County Maps

Historic Maps

Madison County Militia Districts
Madison County Rivers & Streams
National Register of Historic Places
Madison County's Boundary Changes
1811 - 1877

Communities

Carlton Ft. Lamar
Colbert Hull
Comer Ila
Danielsville Paoli

Populated Places in Madison County
at the USGS GNIS website

Click on the community name for details, then click on
"Show Feature Location" to see the location on map

wpe131.jpg (8126 bytes)
City of Comer

Historic Maps
1822 1823 1830 1834 1839
1846 1855 1863 1864 1865
1874 1883 1884 1885a 1885b
1895 1899 1904 1910 1911
1915 1952 1955 1970a 1970b
1999 2001a 2001b
The 1884 Map is especially detailed, showing towns, rivers,
churches, landmarks and the names of some county residents,
as well as the location of each Georgia Militia District 

 

Cities & Communities in Madison County

Danielsville  County Seat

Madison County's first city, Danielsville was incorporated in 1817 and was named for Revolutionary War General Allen Daniel.  In 1812, county commisioners had purchased 50 acres which became the town and county center.  They planned a central public square bisected with north-south and east-west roads.  The area around the square was divided into different lot sizes to accomodate development.  The Strickland Home, reputed to be the county's oldest building (c1810), served as the county's first courthouse and voting precinct, and later as the "Pauper's Farm."  The old Madison County Courthouse, on the courthouse square, was built in 1901 to replace and earlier frame structure.  Government offices moved to a new, larger building 2 blocks away in 1997.

Carlton

The first of Madison County's four railroad communities, Carlton grew along the railway and the city was incorporated in 1892.  Carlton was also known as "Berkley", a name adopted by the railroad to avoid confusion in freight shipments marked for Carrollton, Ga.  The post office, however, retained the name bestowed on the town in honor of Congressman H.H. Carlton, a legislator who exerted his influence to keep the train running through the town instead of bypassing it on the route from Athens to Elberton.
Comer

The second of Madison County's railroad community, and the county's most populous town, Comer was named after the early settler A. J. Comer.  The town began as a small community and largely developed after the introduction of the railroad.  Before its incorporation in 1893, Comer was called "Honey Pond" because of the swampy area outside of the town.
Colbert

Colbert is the third Madison County town to grow up along the railroad.  The town was originally called "Five Forks" because 5 principal roads met there leading to Danielsville, Diamond Hill, Comer, Crawford, and Athens.  Five Forks was incorporated in 1899 and was renamed in 1909 for Fletcher Colbert, an influential resident.   Colbert is home to a 42-acre Historic District; the Colbert Depot (1892) and Commercial Block (1890s-1920s) occupy the town center and reflect the town's transportation and commercial activity.  The Jacob Eberhart Cabin (built by one of Colbert’s first settlers), and the old Grove Hill District Courthouse have been relocated to the Colbert Historic District.
Hull

Hull was organized around a chapel known as Hull’s Meeting House, and the town was named for Hope Hull (1763-1818), a Methodist preacher and an early trustee to the University of Georgia.  Incorporated in 1909, the town developed as the last railroad community in Madison County.
Ila

Located in the northwest part of the county, Ila is a small crossroads community incorporated in 1910. The name comes from the Choctaw word "Ilia" meaning dead.   The historic outpost of Fort Lamar flourished near the town’s present site.
Paoli

Paoli is the location of the earliest settlements in Madison County.  Unicorporated, Paoli is home to the New Hope Presbyterian Church.  Established in 1788, New Hope is the 3rd oldest church in Georgia.

Find maps for other Georgia Counties at the
Georgia Digital Map Library


  Return to Home Page

gagenweb logo

Compilation Copyright 1998 - Present by The GAGenWeb Project Team